GENERAL SUMMARY OF POSITION:
The Associate Director for Contracts assists and reports to the Executive Director of OTM. The Associate Director for Contracts position is a dual responsibility position within the Office of Technology Management and will consist of 75% time dedicated to contracts management and 25% time to licensing activities. The Associate Director for Contracts will be primarily responsible, in conjunction with the respective Licensing Officers, for drafting, negotiating, managing and reviewing all contracts prior to review and approval by the Executive Director. These agreements include sponsored research, collaboration, fee for service, and any other non-governmental funding contract as well as contracts under the auspices of other Medical School offices where intellectual property provisions need review and approval by the Executive Director. The successful candidate will be expected to quickly become familiar with University Policies as they relate to Intellectual Property, Sponsored Research, Publication Rights, Conflict of Interest and other policies and practices of the Medical School. The Associate Director for Contracts will also work closely and effectively with the Office of Innovation and Business Development staff to develop sponsored research opportunities and clients.
The Associate Director for Contracts will also have responsibility for more traditional case management including identifying, protecting and commercializing the University's intellectual property in the fields of the medical and biological sciences created by the researchers at the Medical School.
The Associate Director for Contracts will be expected to represent and promote the Office of Technology Management and the Medical School in public forums and meetings at the request of the Executive Director and will also be expected to promote interaction between the various technology transfer offices of the UMass system.
The Associate Director for Contracts will also have responsibility for the implementation and continuous improvement of various office practices and procedures relating to contract administration and, at the determination of the Executive Director, management of certain support staff. During an absence of and at the discretion of the Executive Director, the Associate Director for Contracts will assume certain duties of the Executive Director including limited signature authority.
- In conjunction with Licensing Officers, draft and negotiate agreements of all types including confidentiality, material transfer, collaboration, inter-institutional, sponsored research, fee-for-service, evaluation, option and license agreements.
- Manage high profile and/or broad based technologies and their respective licensees or commercial sponsors and maintain a comprehensive understanding of all activities related to these cases including sponsored research and other agreements or activities.
- Assist the staff of the Office of Innovation and Business Development with the identification of sponsored research opportunities.
- Monitor adherence to office policies and procedures around agreement tracking, docketing, and record keeping.
- Maintain contacts with industry and respond to industry inquiries to identifying licensing and sponsored research interest.
- Attend and participate in professional society meetings and local and regional technology transfer, business development, and networking meetings.
- Actively encourage the regular submission of invention disclosures by faculty and evaluate invention disclosures to determine patentability.
- Identify technologies with commercial applications and identify potential licensees and/or research sponsors.
- Monitor compliance and performance of license and research funding agreements with regard to payment of fees, milestones, royalties, etc.
- Work with the Executive Director and UMASS Counsel to decide complex legal issues relating to the various agreements negotiated in OTM.
- As requested, assume additional duties on behalf of the Executive Director
- PhD. degree in a biological or related life science and a minimum of 6+ years experience in industry or academic licensing and research collaboration, or equivalent. An additional law or business degree is a significant plus. M.D. degree will also be considered.
- Demonstrated expertise in contract drafting and negotiation is essential.
- Experience in identifying and commercializing technology.
- The ability to work effectively with a broad range of constituents including industry representatives and intellectual property and transactional attorneys.
- Strong time management skills and ability to complete multiple projects with minimum supervision.
- Demonstrated broad knowledge in the biological sciences, either through academic study and/or industrial experience.
- Extensive knowledge of intellectual property law and venture-backed health care companies.
- Experience in the pharmaceutical, diagnostic, or medical device industries and the ability to analyze and summarize technical and scientific information is essential.