- The overall objective of this position is to provide prudent, ethical, landscape-aware, and law-informed solutions for issues facing Eli Lilly and Company in its discovery, development, and commercialization of medical devices used to deliver, or otherwise be used with, pharmaceutical products such as insulins or antibodies. The position exists within a highly efficient, collegial, and collaborative work environment.
- Draft and prosecute patent applications in all jurisdictions with the aid of regional counsel when necessary in accord with business requirements, patent laws, and Lilly policies and procedures.
- Monitor, manage and assist in litigation and oppositions in all jurisdictions related to Lilly and third-party medical device patent portfolios.
- Analyze risks with appropriate consideration of business objectives and the environment, and develop sound tactical approaches to providing solutions that are prudent, ethical, landscape-aware, and law-informed as described above.
- Advise teams and management about exclusivity, freedom to operate, due diligence, contracts, litigation risks, and licensing in a manner consistent with the law, ethics, and Lilly policies; communicate advice in a manner understandable to the lay person.
- Become and/or remain well-versed in US and global laws, court precedents, and regulations pertinent to medical devices; apply knowledge appropriately in carrying out responsibilities.
- Prioritize and manage projects; contribute to implementation of new policies and procedures; lead task-directed teams.
- Contribute to efficiency, collegiality, and collaboration.
- As needed, lead or participate in due diligence, licensing, or inter partes matters.
|Additional Skills/Preferences |
- Technical work experience in a scientific or engineering capacity on design, development, and/or commercialization of injection devices, medical devices, electromechanical devices, electronics, internet connectivity systems, and/or software.
- Strong Law School performance as evidenced by grades, publications, accomplishments, and awards.
- Membership, leadership or involvement in community or professional organizations.
- High learning agility, including: creatively solving problems; having ability to deal with complexity; having high curiosity; responding well to constructive feedback; seeking improvement of self and Lilly; accepting or leading change and helping others adapt to change; having the ability to adjust style to audience; and having the ability to make the complex understandable.
- Sensitivity to others; composure under stress; ability to quickly learn and change.
- Ability to organize self, to multi-task effectively, to satisfactorily complete projects with deadlines on time, and to direct others.
- Effective as individual contributor, team member, and leader.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal skills.