At Abbott, we're committed to helping you live your best possible life through the power of health. For more than 125 years, we've brought new products and technologies to the world -- in nutrition, diagnostics, medical devices and branded generic pharmaceuticals -- that create more possibilities for more people at all stages of life. Today, 94,000 of us are working to help people live not just longer, but better, in the more than 150 countries we serve. Please note that candidates need to be eligible to work in the U.S. without Abbott sponsorship.
Primary Job Function
Responsible for providing technical support in the creation and the development of new medical device products (invasive and non-invasive).
Responsible for compliance with applicable Corporate and Divisional Policies and procedures.
1. Identifies and initiates programs which result in innovative application of existing or new products or technologies.;
2. Conduct experiments and/or develop strategies for consideration that extend beyond known scientific and engineering precedents.;
3. In order to enhance professional knowledge, the Advisor will review technical documents/publications, attend professional meetings, and interface with suppliers/vendors.;
4. As the organization's technical expert, the advisor will provide advice, assistance and direction to project teams and management, when required to assist with problem recognition, review, and resolution.;
5. Serves as an advisor on technical acquisitions and new technology development teams.;
6. Mentors other employees when appropriate.;
7. Provides periodic communication updates to management on future business direction and problem resolution.;
8. Publishes scientific papers in professional journals contributing to the advancement of science.;
9. Researches, develops, designs, and evaluates mechanical and electro-mechanical materials, components, assemblies, processes and/or equipment.;
10. Conducts feasibility studies to verify capability and functionality.
11. May have direct reports who assist in collecting data to support innovative activities.
Position Accountability / Scope
(Influence/Leadership) Champions a product, process, or technology that has major implications for the company and may lead a major research program to accomplish long-range objectives. Provides broad, technical advice. Mentors employees by sharing technical expertise and providing feedback and guidance. Acts as a technical advisor to senior management on specialized business projects. Acts as a mentor to key staff members. Has demonstrated leadership qualities.;
(Planning/Organization) Actively participates in comprehensive development of plans including an outline of duties and project assignments. Demonstrates independence by prioritizing and completing assignments.;
(Decision Making/Impact) Determines emerging technical trends and provides information across functional boundaries in areas of expertise. Erroneous decisions or recommendations would typically result in failure to achieve critical organizational objectives and effect the image of the organization's technological capability.