Akron Children's Hospital has been caring for children since 1890, and our pediatric specialties are ranked among the nation's best by U.S. News & World Report. With two hospital campuses, regional health centers and more than 50 primary and specialty care locations throughout Ohio, we're making it easier for today's busy families to find the high-quality care they need. In 2020, our health care system provided more than 1.1 million patient encounters. We also operate neonatal and pediatric units in the hospitals of our regional health care partners. Every year, our Children's Home Care Group nurses provide thousands of in-home visits, and our School Health nurses manage clinic visits for students from preschool through high school. With our Quick Care Online virtual visits and Akron Children's Anywhere app, we're here for families whenever and wherever they need us. Learn more at akronchildrens.org .
To treat every child as we would our own
To treat others as they would like to be treated
To turn no child away for any reason
Prior to the start date, full COVID-19 vaccination is required for employment. Full vaccination is defined as 14 days after the last received vaccination. Boosters are excluded from this requirement.
We are seeking people who are committed to fostering a diverse environment in which patients, family and staff from a variety of backgrounds, cultures, and personal experiences are welcomed, included and can thrive.
The Senior Medical Technologist assists in the daily organization and oversight of work activities under general supervision of and in close cooperation with supervisor.
1. Performs staff Medical Technologist duties.
2. Follow procedures for collecting and processing Biological specimens.
3. Assists in the daily organization and oversight of work activities under general supervision of and in close cooperation with supervisor.
4. Provides technical assistance, training, and leadership to staff and students.
5. Verifies competency of staff.
6. Establishes and maintains under the direction of the Medical/Scientific Director documentation of the quality control and performance improvement programs in the section.
7. Is responsible for establishment of technical procedures and documentation necessary for licensing and accrediting agencies.
8. Fulfills requirements of general supervisor as described by HCFA in the Clinical Laboratory Improvement Act of 198
9. Provides technical oversite to testing ensuring accuracy.
10. Assists in daily organization.
11. Establishes, reviews and documents quality control and quality assurance programs in the section.
12. Provides leadership to technical staff to include orientation and training.
13. Other duties as required.
Prior work experience in a clinical laboratory setting including recent experience in multiple laboratory disciplines is preferred.
Experience as a Medical Laboratory Scientist/Medical Technologist is required.
Experience working with all levels within an organization is required.
Experience in healthcare is preferred.
Proficiency in MS Office [Outlook, Excel, Word] or similar software is required.
Education and Experience
Education: Bachelor's degree in coursework defined by the American Society for Clinical Pathology [ASCP] or equivelant is required.
Certification: Certification or eligibility for certification by ASCP at the MT/MLS level or grandfather at the MT/MLS level prior to 2004 is required.
Years of relevant experience: 2-3 years is preferred.
Years of experience supervising: 2 years preferred
Akron Children's Hospital is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individual with Disabilities.
EEO is the law, please click/copy paste the link below to learn more: