Location: Suffern, New York
The Chemistry Supervisor supervises staff performing chemistry laboratory testing and assures that testing operations occur in a satisfactory manner consistent with regulatory requirements. On occasion the Chemistry Supervisor shall perform duties and functions of a Medical Technologist.
* Organizes, plans, and directs operational processes, staff scheduling, workflow, human resource issues, and staff development; oversees the performance and quality improvement initiatives for areas of responsibility.
* Develops, establishes, and ensures implementation of chemistry laboratory technical policies and procedures. Assures quality control and proficiency testing is performed as per policy and within practice guidelines.
* Oversees the operations of the Chemistry laboratory department. Assures efficient and effective operations.
* Performs review of patient test results and quality reports.
* Performs staff training and competency. Evaluates the performance of Chemistry laboratory staff. Assures staff compliance to policies and procedures.
* Performs computer functions to process test orders including test ordering printing labels, recording correct collection and receipt times, crediting/ cancelling orders, resulting and patient inquiry functions. Troubleshoots orders and provides proper communication to the clinician as appropriate.
* Performs technical duties such as patient testing, quality control testing, instrument maintenance and resulting of patient tests.
* Screens applications, interview appropriate applicants, make hiring decisions, perform employee counseling and evaluations, scheduling.
* Coordinates the performance of linearity studies, correlations and routine/emergency maintenance of laboratory instrumentation and methodologies as per regulatory requirements.
* Ensure supply levels are adequate, order supplies. Assures cost efficiencies.
* Provide appropriate oversight to the clinical staff in the Chemistry Department to ensure policies/procedures are performed in accordance with accreditation standards, regulatory licensing requirements, regional guidelines, and safety regulations.
* Stays current on laboratory related topics. Makes recommendations for testing, equipment and other clinical standard practice changes.
* Serves as primary resource to the local QA/QI Committees for testing performed in the Chemistry Department of the laboratory
* Functions as a member of the local laboratory leadership team. Coordinates with
laboratory leadership in the identification, implementation and optimization of patient testing.
* Implements new processes as approved by Laboratory Leadership.
* Performs other duties as assigned.
Experience: Minimum of six years relevant professional Chemistry lab work experience. Chemistry supervisory experience preferred.
Bachelor's degree in laboratory sciences or related degree required.
Licenses / Certifications:
A valid New York State Education Department License as a Clinical Laboratory Technologist required. National registration (NCA/ASCP) preferred.
If applicable, the individual performing this job may reasonably anticipate coming into contact with human blood and other potentially infectious materials. Individuals in this position are required to exercise universal precautions, use personal protective equipment and devices, and learn the policies concerning infection control.
Good Samaritan Hospital
Good Samaritan Hospital in Suffern, NY, is a 286-bed hospital providing emergency, medical, surgical, obstetrical/gynecological and acute-care services to residents of Rockland and southern Orange counties in New York; and northern Bergen County, NJ. The hospital is home to a recognized cardiovascular program, comprehensive cancer-treatment services, the area's leading Wound and Hyperbaric Institute and outstanding maternal/child services that includes a Children's Diagnostic Center. Good Samaritan Hospital also provides social, psychiatric and substance-abuse services and its certified home-care agency supports residents of the Hudson Valley and beyond.