Start the day excited to make a difference...end the day knowing you did. Come join our team.
This position is accountable to perform laboratory procedures and evaluations in order to assist physicians in diagnosis and to provide quality patient care. The incumbent in this position will support the mission, vision, values and strategic initiatives of Mary Washington Healthcare and must demonstrate a commitment to quality service to patients, physicians, the public and co-workers.
Essential Functions & Responsibilities:
- Perform accurate routine and specialized laboratory testing in accordance with established procedures including tests requiring complex steps, conclusions, evaluations or value judgments.
- Perform quality control on instruments, equipment, reagents and instrument maintenance in order to maintain high quality laboratory service and in accordance with all regulatory requirements.
- Evaluate abnormal test results and resolve instrument problems to ensure validity of reported results in accordance with departmental and regulatory guidelines.
- Enter test results in laboratory computer system accurately and promptly to ensure expected turn-around times.
- Perform proficiency testing on both external and internal specimens in order to maintain adherence to all regulatory requirements.
- In a professional manner, interface with physicians, hospital departments and other professionals regarding test results, concerns, and analyses.
- Assist department supervisor with evaluation of new instrumentation and procedures to maintain state-of-the-art technology.
- Assist with implementation of training and orientation programs for new Associates, as well as ensure own competencies by participating in all educational in-services and monthly proficiency testing.
- Monitor equipment and supplies in order to maintain adequate inventory levels to ensure continuous operation.
- Collect and label blood specimens for the laboratory in compliance with department's need and expectations.
- Perform other duties as assigned.
- Bachelor of Science in Medical Technology required, or Bachelor's degree with an ASCP or AMT certification for Medical Technologist or Medical Laboratory Scientist or eligible.
- NCA certification required or eligible.
- One to two years relevant experience preferred
As an EOE/AA employer, the organization will not discriminate in its employment practices due to an applicant's race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, and veteran or disability status.