Location: Portland, Oregon
The Center for Evidence-based Policy (Center) is a national leader in evidence-based decision-making and policy design. The Center works with state policymakers in more than 25 states to use high-quality evidence to guide decisions, maximize resources, and improve health outcomes. The Center is objective and non-partisan, working in states across the country to support evidence-based decision-making. The Center does not lobby, and does not accept funding from industry, advocates, or trade associations. Though embedded within OHSU, the Center is entirely self-supporting. The Center staff members work closely with state and federal policymakers to research existing policies, programs, and develop policy options.
The Center actively seeks staff partners who share its commitment to evidence, integrity, innovation, tangible results, and products that are independent, high-quality, evidence-based, and effective in meeting the needs of decision makers. The Center actively recruits and retains the highest quality personnel who are committed and passionate about achieving its mission. The Center strives to be a healthy and thriving work environment where everyone, from any background, can do their best work.
We are committed to an inclusive workplace that celebrates and values diversity of age, race, ethnicity, gender identity, sexual orientation, physical and mental ability, and perspective. We are dedicated to continuous improvement that enables inclusive collaboration among staff with diverse skills and perspectives with the goal of enhancing quality and accessibility of our work for our clients. The Center promotes leadership that inspires innovation, motivates people to perform at their highest levels, and makes the Center a great place to work.
Function/Duties of Position
The position's primary function is to lead the development and presentation of evidence synthesis research products such as systematic reviews, health technology assessments, and rapid reviews. The Center's evidence synthesis research is focused on the areas of health technologies, pharmaceuticals and health services, with attention toward their applicability to Medicaid and other state health programs. Successful candidates will have proficiency in evidence synthesis methods, which includes topic identification and scoping, study selection, risk of bias assessment, certainty of evidence determination, and quantitative and narrative evidence syntheses. Successful candidates will also have a demonstrated record of being able to synthesize evidence in writing and give oral presentations, including presenting in different formats and to different audiences. Candidates should have experience working within and leading teams of people conducting systematic reviews or related types of work.
Develop, Support, and Execute Bibliographic Database Searches and Management
- Support colleagues and train staff in use of key information sciences and systematic review tools (e.g., EndNote, DistillerSR).
- Contribute to the development of guides to support the use of document management tools such as DistillerSR.
- Work with senior information specialist team members to facilitate effective searches for information not usually available within. standard bibliographic databases, including information on new healthcare developments and policies.
- Work with all research staff to develop search strategies that are effective, efficient, and tailored to the needs of the Center and its clients.
- Develop and translate search strategies and run searches in Ovid MEDLINE and other online bibliographic databases (as needed on a project basis).
- Provide clear and organized search strategy information for report methods sections.
- Efficiently transfer search results and citations to programs including EndNote and DistillerSR.
- Manage Center-wide information resources, including EndNote libraries.
- Create and manage references in a citation management software program (e.g., EndNote).
Support the Development and Writing of Evidence Synthesis Research Products
- Support the preparation of research products for public payers and health policy decision makers according to Center style or client guidelines and research methods, ensuring accuracy and clarity, and using narrative text, tables, and appropriate illustrations.
- Present research findings to clients via webinar or in-person meetings and conferences.
- Research and analyze the context of the question(s) that clients are asking and convert questions into structured, answerable research questions.
- Identify relevant research studies, additional grey literature, clinical practice guidelines, and policy documents, and determine their relevance to the research question(s).
- Critically evaluate the risk of bias and applicability of included research studies and clinical practice guidelines.
- Appropriately assign a certainty of evidence rating (e.g., GRADE) from the body of evidence for select outcomes.
- Manage evidence synthesis steps and workflow using structured systematic review software (e.g., DistillerSR).
- Master's degree in relevant health research field and 3 to 5 years of relevant combined experience; OR
- PhD in relevant health research field and with 1 to 3 years of relevant combined experience
- Under 3 years (PhD) or 3 or more years (Master's degree) of experience working as an information scientist, with direct experience formulating and conducting database searches and information retrieval AND conducting evidence syntheses of health-related research information and communicating this information in written health technology assessments, systematic reviews with or without meta-analyses, and oral presentations of these data.
- Experience conducting peer review of search strategies, including use of the PRESS (Peer Review of Electronic Search Strategies) Guidelines.
- Experience in supporting evidence synthesis (e.g. systematic reviews) for use in decision making.
- Knowledge of critical appraisal and its use in systematic reviews.
- Experience working with a citation management software application (e.g., EndNote).
- Experience transferring data from one application to another (e.g., from EndNote to DistillerSR).
- Experience in full text article identification and retrieval, manually and using automated tools.
- Experience working collaboratively and closely with colleagues on research projects.
- Experience presenting research to various audiences, including public sector decision makers.
- Experience working on multiple research projects simultaneously with excellent organizational skills.
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies):
- Expertise in creating and implementing search strategies to identify relevant health research.
- Expertise in peer reviewing search strategies, including use of the PRESS.
- Expertise in use and management of bibliographic software such as EndNote.
- Knowledge of effective and efficient approaches to searches using Cochrane Library, PubMed, Ovid MEDLINE, and skills with Medical Subject Headings (MeSH).
- Knowledge of evidence review methods (e.g., systematic reviews, health technology assessments).
- Ability to use systematic review software applications (e.g., EndNote, DistillerSR).
- Ability to work with team members to create and implement a search strategy to identify relevant health research.
- Ability to help organize and synthesize published research for reports and presentations.
- Excellent writing, grammatical, and proofreading skills, including the ability to follow Center and client style guides.
- Proficiency in MS Office applications (e.g., Word, PowerPoint, Excel).
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills.
- Ability to respond positively and proactively to peer review and editor comments.
- Ability to exercise discretion when dealing with issues of a sensitive nature and to maintain confidentiality at all times.
- Exceptional organizational skills and ability to manage multiple priorities.
- Ability to develop interview questions for interviews with key informants.
- Ability to interact with a wide variety of stakeholders and internal and external customers.
- Ability to be self-motivated, prioritize effectively, and achieve deadlines.
- Master's degree in a relevant health research field with more than 5 years of experience.
- PhD in a relevant health research field with 3 or more years of experience.
- All required experience as listed plus:
- Experience working with systematic review software applications (e.g., DistillerSR).
- Experience working on medical devices, technologies, pharmaceutical, and genetics-related projects.
- Record of peer-reviewed publication.
- Some health policy (local, state, or federal government or equivalent) experience.
Job Related Knowledge, Skills and Abilities (Competencies):
- All required knowledge, skills, and abilities as listed plus:
- Knowledge of medical devices and technologies, genetic tests and interventions, and pharmaceuticals.
All are welcome
Oregon Health & Science University values a diverse and culturally competent workforce. We are proud of our commitment to being an equal opportunity, affirmative action organization that does not discriminate against applicants on the basis of any protected class status, including disability status and protected veteran status. Individuals with diverse backgrounds and those who promote diversity and a culture of inclusion are encouraged to apply. To request reasonable accommodation contact the Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity Department at 503-494-5148 or firstname.lastname@example.org.